In general, people don't like CHANGE. The majority of the population is overweight. When people make those negative and unsupportive comments, usually it is because THEY are insecure. The changes you are making in your lifestyle make them second-guess theirs, and it is uncomfortable because most people don't want to change. The unfortunate thing is that these comments are from people you are probably closest to.
Here are some tips on staying positive in this kind of environment:
1. Surround yourself with like-minded people! Join a gym or group where you develop relationships with people that have similar goals. It will help you realize you are not alone in your journey to better health. It has been said that you are an average of the 5 people you are around most. I'm not saying to ditch your friends & family, but spend more time with those that support your health & fitness goals. (P.S. I have a free, support group on Facebook where we help each other stay focused, if you are interested in extra support. Comment for more details.)
2. Treat yourself to a little personal development. You are doing this anyway by taking the leap to improve your health & fitness!! Instead of listening to the radio on your commute to work, plug into a motivational podcast or audiobook. You'll get a lot out of it, I promise! Some of my favorites are Bryan Tracy, Jim Rohn, Zig Ziglar, and Chalene Johnson's book PUSH. Find someone you like! I listen to these guys or Gary Vaynerchuk while running. Most of them have facebook pages you can follow for a daily dose of motivation. Follow me on facebook or twitter!
3. Pay it forward. Help others when you can. You don't have to go on a campaign trying to convert people to your lifestyle, but if someone likes your results & is contemplating a change too, point them in the right direction. Helping others does wonders for your self-esteem. Believe it or not, YOU are someone's inspiration! When you start to get results, people WILL notice!
4. KNOW THIS: YOU deserve to be healthy! You deserve to be fit! Don't beat yourself up when you have a cheat meal. It's not the end of the world if you miss one or two workouts. Pick yourself up & keep going. You can do this!
5. I am here to support you in your personal goals. Nutrition, fitness, prioritizing your time to fit it all in--I'm your go-to gal! Message me anytime.
Keep pushing play & drown out those negative voices (both external & internal)!